Tuesday, April 17, 2007

transplant success

Tuesday, Day 5

What an exciting day. The web had been out so we couldn’t let you know earlier what has gone on. They started prepping Dave at about 1:00 EST. A wonderful friend of Dr Nancy and Mitchell Ghen came in to pray the 118 psalm with us in Hebrew. Dave and Cindy had been reciting verse 17, “I will live and not die and declare the works of the Lord”…..we had shared this with Ayddie who is from Israel. He said he had the book of Psalms with him and would we like to hear it in Hebrew……..wow. So he came in and talked with us and shared his wisdom…he is a very spiritual man who has learned a lot of lessons from the Kabala and through his journey. He spoke with Dave about letting go and taking care of himself right now and embracing serenity, joy and love (obviously I have condensed his wisdom into a few catch phrases). Then we prayed the psalm and Ayddie spoke first in Hebrew than translated into English….such very powerful words ending with this is the Day the lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad. They moved Dave over to the clinic operating room and we were able to accompany him inside. Dr. Nancy exlained what would happen: stem cells were prepared the same way as before, they cut away a small area of skin at the hip bone and some of Dave’s bone marrow is extracted (this is for diagnostic purposes and to compare it to his bone marrow again at his next booster visit), the stem cells are then transplanted to his bone marrow, he is stitched back up and all is done. Pretty simple stuff. Dave had nitrous oxide to calm him down and other IV drugs to help him not feel anything (he said later that he heard everything and only felt a small stick).

As they were prepping Dave they let us in the room to pray and be with him. They asked what kind of music he wanted to hear and then put on an upbeat Christian rock song….praise God!!!! Cindy and I were in tears of course, it was very moving and hard not to believe that God wasn’t right there in the room with all of us. Dave was in great hands for sure. Dr. Mitchell came in to pray and do the transplant and we left. Just a few minutes later he was out telling us that Dave was getting stitched up by Dr. Vanessa and that Dave was the easiest patient he had ever had….he has great bones and bone marrow. Dr. Vanessa apparently told Dave she was stitching “Dr. V was here”!!!!! Dave said that was fine with him.

He was wheeled back to his room and walked into bed on his own….told Jerry that it was a piece of cake, that he didn’t feel a thing. We will let you know how he is feeling later and get some photos on the blog if possible.

Thanks for everyone’s love and support, it is uplifting David to hear from you all.

DCB

14 comments:

Bev Willis said...

YEAAAAAAA . . . Christian Praise Music does it for me all the time ! ! ! That psalm has come back to me everyday lately and that verse in particular . . . It is your mantra now . . . for me anyway. Can't wait to see the results of today's good news.

Love to all, Bev

Stephanie said...

Great!!! It appears that GOD has great plans for you. Waiting on more photos.

Love Stephanie

GUY WILLIS said...

What Bev & I want to know..... is what upbeat Christian song did you put on?? It wouldn't have been one of Bev's favorites..."Cartoons"....was it??

Seriously....I AGREE with Stephanie....GOD....DEFINITLY...HAS PLANS....FOR YOU....BOTH!!!

Love & Prayers to Both of You!!!

Guy

rose said...

Hi David Keep up the good work I can see you are doing OK. The prayers are coming from all of E. Hartford. Keep those nurses in good spirits as they are giving you a boost. Love you & Cindy. Marie

GUY WILLIS said...

By the way Dave & Cindy...Tell your Biker (Harley Davidson) Dr. Blyweiss....That in appreciation for all He is DOING to Prepare You Both for the NEXT CHAPTER that Jesus has planned for you...in Your Lives....I will be most happy to....PERSONALLY....make for him....a.....BIKER CD....of His Personal Favorites!!!!

Love.....and MAJOR PRAYERS & THANKSGIVINGS for You...Dr. Blyweiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy

Traci Lee said...

I'm glad to hear from you all and ecstatic to know everything went well!!!

I guess I got use to hearing from you guys regularly so if the lines go down again....PLEASE call me. I'll pay the bill. I'm not a very patient person and was a little worried.

Will the next picture be Dad jumping up and down on the trampoline?? I can't wait :)

Love to all!

MommaMea said...

Ok, So I have no idea what I'm doing, so we'll see if this works!

Hey "Dad",
I'm glad to hear everything is going well! Tammy has been keeping me posted. I'm so glad that you have this opportunity! Your faith and your strong heart will pull you through. Your in my prayers.

Love ya! Ryan Slocum

Bill & Roxanne said...

Looking good, it appears that the experts you chose are just that, Experts. You appear to be in great hands, of course the greatest are those of the Lord's. He is keeping an eye on you and most likely is very proud of you, your family for their support and the friends and cohorts’ from all around the country that have come to your side. I'm very proud to be one of them and I pray that one day soon we'll all come together to welcome you home and back into the mainstream of life.

Our prayers and thoughts are still with you and your family. Keep smiling, that is the best clue to us that things are going well.

Later,
Bill & Roxanne

rose said...

good morning Dave & Cindy I am so greatful that things are coming along with you. It seems that everyone there are giveing you good care. All our prayers are with you each & every day & all my friends from E. Hartford as well as my family are going along with me. Love you both talk tommorow Marie

SueMcV said...

Hey Dave & Cindy,
Judy R. forwarded this info to me and I am so glad to hear you are both so strong. I know you will pull through this because of your faith and commitment to each other. You are both an inspiration to all. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to reading your daily updates.
Keep up the workouts, Dave, it can only get better from here.
Love, Sue McVicker

Bev Willis said...

David,
I'm quite sure you won't remember me, but it's Jeff Maynard who went to school with you in Wilbraham.
David, I'm praying for you and as a cancer survivor, I know that God is with you and that prayer and praise really works. I'm living proof 6 years after surgery at the Mayo Clinic.
Your network of friends and people who love you and care for you is amazing. I'm not sure who's e-mail list reached me, but I'm so thankful that I've been added to your contact group.
Do what you are doing......give it your best, and NEVER, NEVER give up.
People (like me) who you have no idea are "out there" are praying for you.
God bless you and please know that you are in my heart tonight.
I know that you will prevail.

I thank God for the family that is with you tonight and are caring for you.

All the best to you and your family,

Jeff Maynard
Richmond, Va.

The Verkuilens said...

Dave...got into your site late in the game, but we're here to stay.
Appears you have everything working for you...everything on earth and in heaven.
You and family are in our daily thoughts and prayers.
Be strong and god bless.
Scott & Melissa

Unknown said...

Think about you every minute of every day. I know that this will be the answer. With everyone on the eastern seaboard and some in the western part of the country praying, you will be healed.
"God, indeed heals me;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage
is the Lord, and he heals me."
Isaiah, 12:2
All my love, Jeanne

Lindsey Hillier said...

Wow! Glad to hear the good news and how well things are going for you! After i got your email, i impatiently checked for the new blog all night long!! I have to work on my patience!! We were having internet problems here too. please call me as soon as you can, i miss your voices!! We are all rooting for you and so elated to hear the news! It must be nice to have a great support system there also, other people to talk to in similiar situations. Love you and hope to hear from you soon!
Linz