Thursday, April 19, 2007

Day 7 late evening

to answer additional questions. we will be here until the 27th. D, C and B return to Forida. D&C fly back on the 30th. there will be one more stem cell treatment this go round. it will also be an IV transplant. Probably done on Sunday or Monday. tomorrow the other 7 patients get their bone marrow transplant, so it is a long day for family, patients and doctors. There will not be much going on for David except the usual, exercise, 2 massages/day, eat and go to the bathroom. he will be confined to his room until later next week. He gets 20-25 million cells with each transplant...this is the same for everyone, but depending on whether it is neurological or cancer, the stem cells would be differentiated differently. I believe everyone starts out with the immune system cells for the scaffolding mechanism to get started. They then build on this with the differentiated cells. The only reason Dave got started so much earlier than the others is due to his blood work indicating that the progression of the disease was at it's highest.....his blood work indicated advanced cell death (= muscle death) and high inflamation. They wanted to get the stem cells into him at a prime time for the body to recognize where they needed to go, as well as they did not need to suppress his system near as much as the other patients. Today was day one for everyone else. we hope to be able to ask a lot of questions that we have when we tour the research lab next week.

Good night and love to all: Bean, Cindy and Joe and of course Dave

6 comments:

Andy Makuvek said...

David,

Michelle has told me about your incredible journey and I have been praying for you. I wish you all of the strength and stamina that you need to heal your body. This blog is a wonderful resource for the people back home that are pulling for you. I truly tip my hat to you for handling all of the IV treatments. You are a bigger man than this 260 lb former Marine. I would be on the floor. Ask your sister Jeanne about my crazy episodes. Just wanted to let you know I was pulling for you from Texas. Stay positive and stay strong. Oh yeah, Chula loved me first. Just kidding :)

Andy

Unknown said...

Dear Dave, Cindy, Beanie, and Joe,

Thanks so much for all the info you provide on the treatment, clinic, personnel, etc. It is hard not being able to be there. This blog helps so much to let us know what is going on and how Dave is progressing. Believe me, if my physical condition allowed me to be there, I would be there with you. God bless.

Love, Jeanne

rose said...

Hi Cindy & David I was so glad that Joe was able to go there for all of you. I know that the Good Lord is watching over all of you. All my good friends are asking about you & praying for you. Ed hopes to get on the blog also. Marie is traveling for her job so right now she is busy in Chicago & on Monday she goes to San Francisco, Keep up the good work Dave we are all pulling for you. Love to all of you. Marie

Lindsey Hillier said...

Thank you, Thank you for all the great info!! Appreciate it! Hope you all have a warm and sunny day!!! : ).

chris todd said...

mr. lamontagne and joe.

bettina and i hope all is ok. you and your family are in our prayers. sounds like things are moving forward for you which is a blessing. good luck with the rest of the treatment! try and kick joe around for me. i miss doing that! ha,ha. take care and god bless!

-chris and bettina todd

Christopher Fiori said...

Dave and Family,

Hey!! I've just been able to start catching up your blogs...I have a great excuse because I'm here slugging away doing both my job and YOURS while you're enjoying your island vacation!! I'm glad that you're feeling better and that your vacation is almost over...your presence is greatly missed back here at work...especially by me. Without you, I'm trying to fight off all of these AMSEC West Coast chumps who are trying to take over our business. They keep pushing us line guys at the staff meetings and I sort of snapped the other day and got in trouble. I really need my friend and mentor back...and sooner rather than later. So put some of those new cells in a big tupperware container and get on a plane and get back here...plus you still owe me dinner...and a good one too!! Also, I'm trying to clear my schedule to come support you in Belize during your next phase...I can do it since Tami will be here running my org and will be much too busy to visit.

You are constantly in my prayers my friend...

Chris